Saturday 5 February 2011

A little trip to Oxord

Mr P took me away to Oxford for the weekend so we had a couple of days of wonderous culinery delights.

Breakfast: To get our journey off to a good start we stopped off at Rosie Lee's, a greasy spoon near our house. I had a sausage and egg sandwich and an orange juice - yum!!

Lunch: After arriving in Oxford and checking inot a b'n'b we decided to go check out an Italian, La'Cuccinia (or something like that) which according to Trip Advisor was the best restaurant in Oxford. As soon as we walked in we felt welcomed and the staff we really friendly and chatty. We couldnt decide what to have so Mr P and I shared half a Capriosca pizza (artichoke, ham, mushroom and olive), which was absolutely delicious, and half an artechoke ravioli with crab sauce, which was really really nice, but was perhaps a little different from what I was expecting as the sauce was green, not the pink crabby colour I was anticipating. It was really lovely though and the artechoke tasted so nice with a hit of chilli and some cherry tomatoes. I washed it down with a bottle of Morreti. The perfect start to a weekend away.

After lunch but before dinner we went for a couple of drinks in bars around town, one was called Branco where I had a clemintini (processco, clementine juice and campari) a little bitter from the campari but still very enjoyable. In another bar called the Duke of Cambridge I had a martini of which flavour I cannot remember but it included some passion fruit tastes and reminded me of Um Bungo, which can never be a bad thing.

Dinner: We went to a little French bistro called Pierre Victore. We had a bottle of pinot noir, which was light and lovely. Then for starters we shared some mussels in coconut milk, lime and chilli - not very French but nice none the less. For mains I had lamb with chorizo mash, some of Mr P's haricot vert and a delicious red wine jus. It was so so nice. The meat was pink and delicate and although I'm not entirely sure if it went with the smokey taste of the paprika I devoured the entire dish. For dessert Mr P and I shared a chocolate fondue with banana, marshmallow, strawberries and pineapple for dipping. I finished the meal with an espresso. A wonderful end to a wonderful day. I would go back without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment