Monday 22 November 2010

Jerk chicken with rice and peas

Breakfast comprised of one piece of toast with marmite on - most definitely not enough!!

For lunch I was ravenous so decided to treat myself to an egg mayo baguette, some crisps and a chocolate bar, but was left utterly disappointed. My baguette had no butter and was really bland and tasteless and my kit kat chunky caramel had no caramel in it. This is not the first time this has happened... The first time I had one it had no caramel in it, but I decided to give them a second chance. On discovering this one also lacked the vital ingredient I decided to write to Nestle to tell them of my disappointment and they sent me a £2 voucher, which oddly enough I am yet to spend. So months later I decided today to try again and buy another one as Nestle had assured me there had been a problem with a machine... but I discover much to my horror this one is also caramel free - so now I am sworn off kit kat caramel chunkys for life. In other news I had a packet of smokey bacon Wheat Crunchies, thank goodness they lived up to be everything the packet said it would be.

My sister came round for dinner and we decided to make jerk chicken with rice and peas.

With the chicken we put eight drumsticks in a dish and then added paprika, cajun pepper, chilli, tomato ketchup, lime juice, salt and pepper, some diced red and white onion and a diced tomato and then put it into the oven for around 35 mins checking it and turning the meat around occasionally. With the rice and peas we fried off some red onion and red chilli before adding a tin of coconut milk, some rice, a tin of beans (Caribbean style) and some chicken stock. We left it simmering for about 20 mins and then served it with the chicken. It was tasty, moist and tender. A great meal after a long day at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment