Monday 27 September 2010

Halibut with razor clams, lobster and mash

Today's food was a real mixture. I was out at a conference in the morning, so I didn't have my usual breakfast and instead had a pan au chocolate and a cup of tea on the train to Coventry. My lunch was pretty poor too, just a bag of Walkers salt and vinegar crisps and a bottle of cherry coke.

I was feeling pretty sorry for myself by the time I got back to the office at half three and was ravenous. As I was going out to an awards ceremony I thought I'd better line my stomach with something or else I'd be completely bazookered at the champagne reception, so I tucked into a bowl of weetabix followed by a pear.

The awards ceremony I went to was the AA hospitality awards, which was an ultra glamourous event held at the Hilton Hotel on Park Lane. I even spent part of the night talking to Steven Gerrard!!

I meant to bring a menu home so I could remember exactly what each course was along with the wine which was served with it, but I forgot to bring one, so I shall attempt to remember. There was first a champage reception with canapes, then...

Starter - Carpaccio of beef with something very light and creamy on top, but I'm not sure what buit it was seriously delicious. This was served with a lovely white wine.

Main - fillet of halibut with razor clams, tiny little leeks (I think), lobster and lobster sauce served on mashed potato. This was utterly superb, it tasted amazing. It was so meaty and the taste in my mouth afterwards lingered for ages, it was an absolute wonder. This was served with a red, but it was the lightest red I have ever had and it went perfectly with the fish.

Dessert - Raspberry and chocolate fondant with ice-cream and caramelised peanuts. This had pieces of raspberry scattered on the plate which had little bits of gold leaf on. And the ice cream was the best ice cream ever. Another beautiful course. This was served with a dessert wine. I love dessert wine and certainly do not have it enough.

Afterwards there was coffee and beautiful petite fours, which included some macaroons, as light as anything. Oh and that was followed by yet more champagne. A seriously divine evening of food.

No comments:

Post a Comment