Friday 15 October 2010

Wine Time

Last week I mentioned trying unusual wines and this week I'm going to carry on that theme and look into Biodynamics. They don't taste unusual, but the production process is definitely unusual.

There's been a significant increase in organic produce in recent years, in the press and especially with local producers. I'm a total convert to the idea, I pay the money (when I can afford it) and can honestly appreciate the ethos behind organics and the environment. I'd lord it over the planet killing minions if I could. But Biodynamics?

Here is the wiki definition of biodynamic wine production. "Like biodynamic agriculture in general, biodynamic viticulture stems from the ideas and suggestions of Rudolf Steiner (1861–1925), who gave his now famous Agriculture Course in 1924, predating most of the organic movement. The principles and practices of biodynamics are based on his spiritual/practical philosophy, called anthroposophy, which includes understanding the ecological, the energetic, and the spiritual in nature. As a practical method of farming, biodynamics embodies the ideal of ever-increasing ecological self-sufficiency just as with modern agro-ecology, but includes ethical-spiritual considerations. This type of viticulture views the farm as a cohesive, interconnected living system".

Bonkers isn't it? Spiritual agriculture? The producers treat the soil with compounds and powders, hopes and prayers. It sounds to much like a religious belief. Whats next, turning rain into wine and the virgin harvest?

Let's bring it back to drinking, huh? I decided to compare a normal wine with a biodynamic wine from a similar region, grapes and style. A very scientific trial. Eliminate the variables then get my drink on, all in the interest of a blog.

Turns out it's harder to get hold of biodynamic wines than I thought. Wanting to actually get my hands on a bottle or two to try (within my budget of £aslittleaspossible) I wandered into a couple of wine shops. Lots of organic wines, I think consumers are starting to do the same as me and relate to the idea of organics and so producers that make organic wines are putting that front and centre on their labels. I even spent a good 15 minutes rummaging around the wine shelves of M&S looking for some biodynamic wines, but no mention, I didn't bother asking Julie (she looked like Yoda) for some help, the ladies of M&S and lots of the other supermarket wine sellers honestly aren't much help are they? I decided to stick to what I know best and go to work (the wine shop), and drink something I'm used to, Tuscany.

Apparently, I've missed something pretty cool. I need to catch up on some chap called Monty, he had a telly program about producing biodynamic wine!! I'm an idiot. Anyway his original tellybox antics were in France but he's moved to Italy and biodynamically produced Monty's Tuscan Red, 2009 available from Adnams wines. A classic blend of sangiovese and merlot with that typical Italian finish, spicy and warm, but rounded and fruity (I really do love Italian reds), I've often got an Italian red in the cupboard, and there's a few similar wines I've had recently to compare it to, namely chianti's and a few northern Italian country reds. Piccini Reserva, Chianti 2008 from Tesco being a usual suspect, both excellent wines, both similar and I really can't spot the underlying biodynamic difference. There's obviously a slight difference in taste but both sing northern Italy to me.

On reflection, with no positive or negative impact on taste or flavour, (I'm drinking Monty's as I type, FYI) I can only say that, biodynamic and organic wines are a preference just like buying an organic carrot. They taste the same but you feel a little better inside knowing that the ground and the earth and the planet and your soul and your taste buds are at one.

Conclusive, scientific, reasoned proof (opinion). Yes.

On a lighter, totally unrelated side note. I swigged at a generic pinot grigio (La Gioiosa et Amorosa, pinot grigio, Veneta, 2009. More than likely from Tesco or Sainsbury's) post show number 3 in my current run as tech for an amateur theatre company (twitter: @mustardtheatre). Midnight and after almost a whole packet of biscuits. Fairly light, fresh, a little over acidic and typical supermarket fair. Still, after such a situation there is call for any form of alcoholic refreshment, so who cares? That was show 3 and after show 4 the next night, yet another pinot grigio that (I didn't even bother to write down) could have been the same one, but definitely wasn't (I checked...). Equally as uninspired, like teenage poetry, existent but generally ignorable.

That’s it for now, you can follow me on twitter @danprobert and you can come and see me in-store at the Adnams Cellar & Kitchen Store in Woodbridge, Suffolk. Should you wish.

No comments:

Post a Comment