Friday 1 October 2010

Fillet of red snapper with sweet potato rosti

As it's a Friday and we've had a busy week Mr P and I decided to get a treat for breakfast. I had a scrambled egg and sausage sandwich, while Mr P had a bacon and fried egg sarnie - a delicious if slightly greedy start to the day.

For lunch I had leek and potato soup followed by a Twix later on in the afternoon.

Mr P and I went out for a belated anniversary meal to a lovely restaurant called La Rascasse in Beckenham. The restaurant has a really nice bar next to it which we popped into first to have a drink. We then went through to the restaurant. On looking at the menu I was so excited as it was one of those menus where I could literally eat everything on it from the smoked duck salad with poached duck egg and beetroot dressing to the monkfish wrapped in pancetta.

I settled on the Fins du Claire oysters, whereas Mr P went for snails as he had never had them before. My oysters were absolutely delicious and I had them served with a squeeze of lemon, shallot vinegar and Tabasco. So so nice. Mr P's snails were nice too, but I always think the taste of garlic and parsley is so overpowering I'm not sure what snails actually taste like.

For mains I had fillet of red snapper served with sweet potato rosti, aromatic leeks and a mango sauce. The fish and rosti were absolutely delicious but the whole dish was slightly too sweet for my liking. I don't usually opt for fruity tastes in savoury dishes but I thought I'd go for something different, perhaps next time I won't. It came scattered with sultanas, which I also can't stand in savoury food.

Mr P had the most delicious venison I have ever tasted. I was beautifully cooked medium rare and came with braised spiced red cabbage and anna potato, which I found it a little like dauphinoise potatoes, but with less juice. It was amazing and both Mr P and I loved it.

We washed our food down with a bottle of Torrontes, which was hugely refreshing and crisp.

Although we were both stuffed we decided to have a chocolate tart, which had lovely crisp pastry and an almost moussey topping with a hint of orange. It came served with a pannacotta cream and I had a glass of dessert wine and Mr P had some port. A perfect end to a perfect evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment